How Cold Should A Refrigerator Be?
Refrigerators and freezers should be set at between -5°C and +5°C. The freezer section of a fridge/freezer is colder than the fridge section. When you freeze food it lowers the temperature in your freezer and can cause ice crystals to form on some foods, which changes their texture and taste.
To stop this from happening, move already frozen food away from where new food is placed inside your freezer. Make sure that the temperature isn’t too cold; otherwise, you’ll end up with ice-covered food after defrosting it.
To make sure your refrigerator doesn’t get too warm during the summer months:
Turn off or unplug your fridge when you’re not using it (it uses more energy if it’s plugged in all the time).
Don’t leave your fridge door open for too long as every time you do, warm air from inside the room is drawn into the fridge. If that happens, food can start to spoil much more quickly.
How do I defrost my Maytag refrigerator?
Your Maytag refrigerator has a self-defrosting freezer. If the ice is built up in layers, here’s how to clear it away:
1. Remove all removable items from the freezer shelf then shut the door. Ice forms more quickly on the floor of the freezer than anywhere else and removing the food will make it easier for you to see what needs defrosting.
2. Turn your temperature control dial (located on the back wall inside the freezer compartment) to maximum cold and fan switch (located on the rear wall inside the freezer compartment) to ON. The fan will run for three hours after which time frost should be mostly melted and temperature inside freezer sufficiently cooled for safe removal of any remaining ice with warm water and cloth or sponge.
3. Open the freezer door and remove ice from the floor by pushing a warm, damp cloth or sponge over it until all the ice is melted.
4. Replace items in the freezer then turn your temperature control dial to OFF and fan switch back to AUTO. The automatic fan will resume operation after a three-hour defrosting cycle which will repeat for as long as the temperature in your freezer remains above approximately -14°C.
Can I defrost my freezer with a hairdryer?
If your freezer is frost-free, simply run the fan inside the freezer compartment for a few minutes. The warm air should melt any remaining ice and allow you to remove it with a cloth. Don’t use a hairdryer or other heat source that isn’t safe around food as this can cause a build-up of moisture which could damage your appliance.
If your freezer is frosted up or has ice inside, simply run the fan for ten minutes to thaw the layer of ice at the bottom. Then use a hairdryer on its lowest setting to melt any other remaining ice without causing damage to the appliance. Be careful not to let water enter your appliance when using this method.
How often do I need to defrost my freezer?
Most frost-free freezers need defrosting once a month to ensure that any ice at the bottom is cleared away. If your freezer doesn’t have a self-defrosting system, you’ll need to manually remove the ice every three months. Always wait for your freezer to cool down before you attempt any repairs or manual defrosting – this will lessen the risk of injury.
How do you force a defrost cycle?
Other models come with a manual defrost function; if that’s the case, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the freezer is turned off and unplugged from the mains power supply then remove all food from its shelves.
2. Preheat your home oven to 100°C or heat a pan of hot water on your cooker until it reaches 80°C. Do not let this get too hot as you don’t want it to boil dry.
3. Once at temperature, place the fridge in the oven or pan of hot water for four hours then use a cloth or sponge to wipe away any remaining frost from the appliance once cool enough to touch.
4. To prevent your freezer from icing up again quickly, place a small pan of water inside the appliance and leave it to freeze overnight.
5. Replace all food in your Maytag refrigerator before switching back on and returning it to its normal temperature setting.
How do you know if your fridge is stuck in defrost?
If your temperature control dial is stuck on defrost or if the fan isn’t working, you’ll need to manually defrost your Maytag refrigerator. This can be done using a pan of hot water placed inside the freezer compartment for four hours, as described above. Once this period has passed, use a cloth or sponge to wipe away any remaining frost from the appliance before replacing food items.