Are you looking for one of the best portable water filters for any adventures you’re planning or for traveling? Well, we’ve curated a list of more than 15 best-rated water filters for you, which are quite handy and compact to keep with you while traveling or to backpack.
Yeah, if you want to improve your camping and hiking experience. Then, you’ll need the best portable water filters to save you time and money. Not only does it save you costs, but there is also no need to carry extra water with you on the trail.
You can fill up your water bottle where you are and drink clean water. Furthermore, using any of the water purifiers on the list is affordable and fits into a backpack or camping gear. Alternatively, you can even use it at home if preferred.
So here is my list of The Best Portable Water Filters Reviews :
Sawyer Mini – Editor’s Pick
For backpacking, Sawyer’s mini filtration system is one of the best to take on any trip. The product is small, fits in the palm of your hand, and is made with a hollow membrane inline filter. Using the device is simple as it attaches to the included drinking pouch, but you can use it with a water bottle.
You can use it with a hydration pack making it convenient to use. For drinking, it comes with a straw and allows you to drink directly from the water sources available. Using the device provides you with safe to drink fluid without bacteria present and filters up to 100,000 gallons of water.
Included is an adapter that helps to use it with different water vessels, and you can even attach it to a faucet?
- Made with a high-performance filter and weighs 2 ounces
- Comprise a hollow fiber membrane inline filter with 0.1 Micron holes
- Can use it with different water recipients, and you do not need a special water bottle
- Helps remove all bacteria and filters up to 10,000 gallons
- Include a 16-ounce reusable squeeze pouch, cleaning plunger, and 7-inch drinking straw
- The device is back-flushable, and you do not need to replace cartridges
- You can buy the squeeze pouches in different sizes separately
Sawyer Micro – People’s Choice
Here we have an identical portable water filter as the previous model from Sawyer. The weight is similar, and the flow rate is slower but still useful for cleaning water. The sieve filters up to 100,000 gallons and comes with a 32-ounce squeeze bag. The pouch is reusable, and for drinking, it includes a straw, spare gasket, cleaning plunger, and cleaning coupling. As well you can check this Fleck Iron Pro 2 Water Softener.
The unit is light and versatile to use with different water recipients and small enough to fit in a backpack. The Micro Squeeze, water purification system, has a 0.1-micron design to remove most contaminants present, and you can attach it to a faucet as well. Yeah, it’s one of the best faucet water filters as well. The filters back washable, and you do not need to replace expensive cartridges.
- Made with a reusable 1-micron water filter to drink directly from the water source
- You can use it with a variety of water vessels and attach it directly to a faucet
- Removes bacteria and ideal for hiking, camping, and more
- Filters up to 100,000 gallons and include a 32-ounce squeeze pouch
- Extra you get a drinking straw, spare gasket, cleaning coupling, and cleaning plunger
Sawyer PointOne Squeeze – #1 & Best Portable Water Filters
Are you passionate about camping, hiking, or traveling? You will love the PointOne water filter from Sawyer. The device removes bacteria and protozoa and allows you to enjoy freshwater that is healthy to drink. The fantastic thing is you get an adapter included to connect it with the pouch, water bottle, or faucet.
The filter comes with a removable cap, and the bladders made of BPA-free material and collapsible. Furthermore, you get a lifetime warranty included. There are additional accessories for gravity and inline use—the sieves made with hollow-fiber and weigh 3 ounces.
- Comes included with a screw-on water filter with three BPA-free pouches available in 16 -, 32 -, and 64-ounce size
- There are a replaceable pop-up drinking spout, syringe filter cleaner, and instructions included
- You can use it to fill it up with any source of water as the fiber membrane filters out all harmful contaminants
- Offers you 0.1-micron protection, and the cartridge needs no replacement
- Include a limited lifetime warranty
- Weighs 3-ounces
LifeStraw Personal – Compact Pick For Travel
One of the most popular portable water filters on the market is this one from LifeStraw. The price is right, and it is one of the public’s favorites for outdoor adventures. The designs intelligent and provides you with 792 gallons of safe drinking water.
The filtration system removes bacteria and other components, and it does not have a shelf life. One of the most recommended and best portable water filters out there is ultra-lightweight and adds no extra weight to the backpack. Filtering water is done quickly with the apparatus as the dirty water runs through the hollow fibers providing you with fresh water to drink.
- Helps remove bacteria and parasite with the microfiltration membrane
- The device even removes micro plastic down to 1-micron and turbidity to 0.2-microns
- Has a long life providing you with up to 1,000 gallons of fresh and safe drinking water
- Made with a hollow fiber filter to drink directly from the water source
- Weighs 2 ounces
LifeStraw Go – Top-rated Water Filter Bottle
The Go Water Filter Bottle from LifeStraw is ideal for camping, jogging, backpacking, and more. Furthermore, it makes for one of the best water filtration systems to have in an emergency. The bottle comes with a two-stage activated carbon and hollow filter to remove bacteria and bad odor from water.
The bottles are made with BPA-free plastic, and the mouthpiece is soft with silicone. If you prefer you, can remove the mouthpiece and use the container instead. With the single straw filter, you can purify up to 264 gallons of water. Once this one of the best portable water filters reaches its maximum use, it stops taking in the water.
- The bottles reusable and made with BPA-free plastic
- Suitable to use at home or for traveling
- Made with a two-stage filter system comprising of a hollow and activated carbon cartridge
- Removes terrible odor, taste, and bacteria found in water supplies
- The bottle has a capacity of 23-ounces and has a silicone mouthpiece you can remove
- The replacement filters you can buy separately
Katadyn VARIO – Best Portable Water Filter For Backpacking
The VARIO is small enough to fit in your handbag or backpack and adds no additional weight. The filter mediums efficient and purifies up to 2 quarts of water. The designs well thought out and come with an outlet and inlet hose each measuring 36-inches.
There is a plastic clip to attach the hoses to a water bottle to prevent it from falling over. The filtration system works fast, and you do not need to pump hard to get the water. The units are equipped with a charcoal filter that removes smells and horrible taste from the water.
Furthermore, it has three filtering stages comprising a glass fiber sieve, ceramic pre-filter, and active charcoal. You get a deluxe carry bag to keep your portable water filter secure and safe. Katadyn Vario is one of the best portable water filters on the market. It only weighs 15 ounces and has a height of 6.5-inches.
- Works with a dual pumping action to remove particles in the water
- Made with a three-stage filtering system comprising of ceramic, glass fiber, and active charcoal filter
- Provides you with up to two quarts per minute
- You get the screen, deluxe carry bag, cleaning pad, cleanable ceramic disc, and two hoses
- Weighs 15 ounces and is 6.5-inches tall
- The cartridge capacity is up to 500 gallons before it needs replacing
Here we have another exceptional water filter from Katadyn that works with a pump action. On the inside, it has a ceramic filter to pump water directly into the container providing you with drinkable water. The unit provides you with a good flow and simple to use.
You can pump up to one liter of water per minute, providing you with quick access to drinkable water. Furthermore, you get a handy carry case to keep it safe on a trip. The filter cleans easily, and you can take it with you anywhere. While it works with a ceramic cartridge, you can use it with an activated carbon filter by purchasing the adapter separately.
- Made with a ceramic filtering system and you can combine it with the activated carbon filter using an adapter
- The output is one liter per minute
- Made with durable material and works with a pump-action
- Comes with all accessories and a carry bag included
- Process of Installation With Reviews for Best Whole House Water Filters
- How to install an under sink water filter – with reviews of best products of 2021
- Best Shower Filters for hard water in cities
- Reviews of Best Reverse Osmosis Filtration Systems in 2021
- Top Selling & Best Countertop water filters on the market
- Best Faucet Water Filters Reviews & Guide
- How To Remove Lead From Drinking Water? – With Detailed Reviews of Top Filters
- Best Rated Portable Water Filter Kits for Adventures
Katadyn BeFree Water Filter – Best Budget Pick
You can use the portable water purifier as a squeeze or gravity filter when purchasing the 3-liter version. The microfilter is 0.1-microns, and EPA tested to remove bacteria and protozoa. You can filter up to two liters per minute and is fast for this type of filtering system.
The soft bottle has a full mouth, and you can buy it in three sizes a 0.6, one, and three-liter design. You can fill it up quickly in a stream, and it folds compact for storage. One of the best portable water filters weighs 3.5 ounces, and the filter has a life expectancy of 1000 liters. The membrane cleans easily by giving it a shake to remove debris and needs no extra tools or backflushing.
- Made with a 1-micron design to remove bacteria and protozoa
- EPA tested and has a collapsible design suitable for traveling
- Filters up to 1,000 liters of water per minute and available in three sizes
- You can use it as a squeeze or gravity filter
- The membrane cleans easily and needs no backflushing or added tools
- Has a fast two-liter flow rate depending on the model you buy
The manufacturer has a wide selection of water purification systems designed for the traveler such as this one here. The equipment works with a pump-based filter and removes contaminants in the water down to 0.2 microns in size. At the hose, outlet is a pre-filter and suitable to use with sediment-filled water.
The quick-connect fittings make using the water filter a breeze and work with hydration reservoirs and more. The filter life is 1,150 liters before you need to replace it. The Hiker weighs 11 ounces making it lightweight and compact to fit in your backpack.
Furthermore, it is equipped with a glass fiber filter and contains an activated carbon cartridge to improve the water’s taste.
- Simple to use and filters water particles down to 0.2 micron
- Comprise a glass fiber filter with high output and in the core is activated carbon to improve the taste of the water
- Needs no backflushing and offers you a low maintenance
- The item weighs 11 ounces and the filter life is 1,150 liters
For camping, the family water purifier from LifeStraw is perfect to use. The gravity filter is simple to use by pouring water through the top and filters it out at the bottom.
The model removes bacteria, protozoa, viruses, and more. The filtering process is quick and purifies up to 3.17 gallons of water per hour. Compared to other water purification systems for camping, as it’s one of the best portable water filters out there, it has a vast capacity to provide you with drinking water in a short time.
- Works with gravity to filter water down to 0.02 microns
- EPA tested to remove different contaminants
- Can purify 4 755 gallons without using extra cleansers and more
- Works easy by pouring water through the top and comes out clean at the bottom
- You receive it in a sealed bag and has a 12 liter per hour flow rate
- Ideal for camping with up to four people to use
Other Forms of Water Purification Systems
While the top 10 products are the best for using on trips, other forms of water filtering systems also work well.
For backpacking, this is a top-rated water purifier and available in two treatment bottles. You can use it to clean up to 30 gallons of water. The two cylinders are small and make it easy to carry with you. Chlorine dioxide kills waterborne pathogens and works better than using chlorine bleach or iodine.
You use the two bottles together to provide you peace of mind, and the shelf life is up to four years. The process is a mixture of both substances and suitable for use in warm, cold, and muddy water. So if you need a backup to take with you on your trip, make sure to get this water treatment solution. Furthermore, it does not leave an aftertaste.
The water treatment system uses gravity and includes two by four-liter water tanks, connecting hoses, and a water filter. You can use it at home or on a camping trip to filter large quantities of water. The apparatus breaks down contaminants to 0.2 microns in size.
Cleaning the filters easily with the quick-disconnect valves and hose clamps, and the flow rate is one liter per minute. The screen’s expected life span is 1,500 liters of water, and it weighs 10.75 ounces and stows away easily. The unit is equipped with a hollow-fiber water filter and meets all NSF and EPA standards.
There is no pumping needed, the tank fills quickly, and the cartridge is replaceable. Therefore, if you plan an outdoor adventure, check this product and decide if it fits your needs.
For one of the smallest purification systems to place in your backpack, look at this model. The pen works using UV light and destroys germs in the water.
The SteriPen works with batteries and can deliver up to 50 treatments per charge and recharges quickly. Furthermore, it will last up to 15,000 liters of water, and once it reaches its maximum use, it will not be sufficient.
There is an OLED display to show you essential information on battery status, lamp, and treatment. The equipment compact to take anywhere and the cells charge using a USB connection. Using the device is simple by placing it in the water and stirring it. Once the waters purified, the indicator lamps give you a signal. The UV lamp life use is up to 8000.
Here we have another brilliant water filter system for hiking that comprises a two-stage operation. The tablets help neutralize bacteria in the water to rid it of bad taste.
You can use it in extreme types of water, and it is portable to take anywhere. Using the pills is quick by popping them out into the bottle, and in minutes, you can quench your thirst. You can treat up to 60,000 liters of water and suitable for any outdoor recreation.
For a beautiful water purification bottle, you can look at the GRAYL with its sleek design.
With the squeeze action, you can get fresh water to drink in no time. Using the container is simple by filling it with fluid and pressing down the filter over it. The product is convenient to use and stores easily in the pockets of the backpack. Yeah, with this one of the best portable water filters, there is no need to use a pumping action or batteries and remove bacteria and viruses.
The handheld pump water filter has a simple squeeze with one hand design to draw water up through the screen’s included hose. The water runs out clean at the other end and works similar to a water fountain.
The fantastic thing is you can use it with a water bottle as well. The hollow fiber filter removes protozoa and bacteria and comes with a pre-filter at the end to remove other matter. The products suitable for one person to use and has a pocket-sized construction. You can use it to filter one liter of water in 60 seconds and weigh 5 ounces and great for athletes to use.
Here we have another pump styled water filter you can screw on a wide-mouth bottle or canteen. The product is more substantial than other squeeze-style water filters and suitable to use with most water sources.
The product offers you a three-stage filtration system and comes with a pre-filter as well. The device weighs 17-ounces and has an output of one liter per minute to break down contaminants to 0.2-microns. The filter’s life expectancy is 2000 gallons before it needs replacing. Further, you get a lifetime warranty included.
Top-Rated Portable Water Filter Buying Guide
No matter where you go, you need clean drinking water. The portable water filter offers you the best solution as it removes all impurities present in the water, making it fresh to drink. You can find different models available that fit in a backpack or you can pack it in with your camping or fishing gear.
Do you feel like you have to consider purchasing the best portable water filters for any and every adventure you are planning to go on? If so, then you are indeed in the right place for it. We are going to provide you the best portable water filters that will make sure that you and your family members will get healthy, clean, and pure water to drink.
It will be possible for everyone to drink water that is free from harmful contaminants and bacterias. But that will only be possible if you are going to choose the perfect portable water filters.
Using portable water filters can indeed help in improving your overall camping or hiking experience. In order to save time as well as money, it will be essential for you to get the best portable water filter. Make sure to select the most reliable, affordable, and effective water filter.
The biggest problem is finding the best one that performs well. To help you pick the right one, you can read some relevant facts on choosing one right here.
Five Things to Consider When Buying Water Filter for Traveling
When shopping for a portable water purifier, you can look at the following:
- Weight – you do not want to travel with a filter system that adds weight to your gear, making it uncomfortable to the journey. Always consider the feature before you decide on buying one. The majority of water filters for backpacking is compact, and the weight varies according to the construction.
- The filtration speed – each product provides you with different filtration speeds from producing a couple of ounces every minute to 20 ounces with the same period. If you plan to travel in a large group, the latter provides you with an advantage suitable for many people to drink clean water.
- The filter capacity is that a filter cartridge’s lifespan is limited as some can last for a few days while others continue for weeks or months. However, if you pick the best water filter, it comprises of a long-lasting filter cartridge. These cartridges clean up to 264 gallons of water, and some can purify up to 100,000 gallons.
- Ease of use – while they are compact, it does not mean they are simple to use. The important thing is you need a model that you do not need to take the instructions with you. Furthermore, you need to set them up properly, making it a challenge at times. You can find a simple to use when the waters pulled up through a straw and make it easy to drink.
- Cost – money is always a concern, and you need to pick one that fits in with your budget. Prices can vary, and buying the most expensive one does not guarantee the best results. You can find a cheap model that is functional and provides the same results as the premium portable water filters available.
What Types of Portable Water Filters Can You Buy
Depending on your water purification needs, you can find different water filters available. Here is a rundown of several models you can consider when traveling.
The straw filter has a lightweight construction and looks like an oversized straw and works with the same principle. Using the filtration system can become complicated, as you need to be close to the water to draw it through the apparatus. For it to work, it requires a powerful draw, but the filtration process is simple.
The device comprises a hollow fiber membrane tightly woven for the water to pass through, and the holes are small. The holes measure 0.2 microns wide to capture bacteria and more. The product is efficient and removes particles that make water taste bad. The big problem is the holes clog and needs to change regularly.
These water filters not small but do fit in a backpack and takes up little space. You need a lead line to connect the screen to the water source and another one to communicate with the water container. It works with a hand pump and relies on ceramic or fiber sieves in conjunction with an activated carbon filter to draw the water.
The device works similarly to the straw model to stop contaminants. The filters porous and covered with 1-micron holes and do not prevent some bacteria and organic compounds found in water. With the equipment, you can improve the water quality, and the filter only needs changing once a year.
Furthermore, beneficial minerals are not eliminated, but it can become a breeding ground for trapped bacteria.
When you do not have a filter present, this device is handy to have. Removing the filter cartridge is simple, and you can enjoy drinking safe and healthy water. The water recipient works with fiber filters, and some use a solid block activated carbon sieve. The unit operates the same as the straw device, but you do not need to dip the straw in the water.
All you need to do is fill the container with water and suck the fluid through the straw. You can use it to reduce heavy metals and dangerous contaminants and blocks bacteria and viruses.
For camping and trekkers, this device is ideal to use. You do not need electricity and perfect to use in remote areas where drinkable waters not available. The apparatus comprises two containers placed above each other, and you pour the liquid through the first reservoir. The water passes through the filter mediums and ends up in the second container.
Usually, there is a tap on the 2nd water tank. There is typically a combination of activated carbon filters and ceramic that helps purify the water. You can use it to remove bacteria and more and even rids it of herbicides.
The portable water filters not popular with hikers or campers, but you can find some good ones available. The device works with a battery and is very useful to remove parasites and bacteria. The product works quickly and keeps beneficial minerals in place. The big problem with using the filtration system is the dirtier the water, the less effective it becomes at cleaning.
Why Do You Need a Portable Water Filter?
Drinking contaminated water is harmful and the same as eating something appalling. When walking in the wilderness or exploring, you can quickly go without food but not water. For this reason, you need a backpacking filtration system to rid the water of the following contaminants:
- coli – the virus causes fever, abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Hepatitis A – the infection leads to stomach pain, nausea, jaundice, high temperatures and appears after 28 days of the contamination
- Giardia Lamblia – the bacteria that causes vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea
- Salmonella – the infection leads to fever, diarrhea, vomiting, muscle cramps
- Legionella pneumophila – the bacteria produce disease leading to fever, muscle aches, cough, and it may result in death
Frequently Asked Questions
While we have provided you with a buyer’s guide, you may still have significant questions on your mind. Here are some questions asked by our followers.
What is the difference between a water filter and a purifier?
A fact is that both of them are similar and only have one primary difference, and that is to remove viruses. The water filter removes parasites, bacteria, and protozoa, but not infections as the designs smaller. You can even find them available to remove metal as well.
The water purifier can remove viruses and other impurities from the water. Other traditional methods of removing contaminants are by boiling the water or using UV light. Unfortunately, it only kills them but does not eliminate them. This is where a pump water purifier is handy as it reduces the viruses as well.
How trustworthy is a portable water filter?
In most cases, the portable water filters reliably if they carry the NSF International standards. The organizations well respected and protect people globally by providing specific guidelines for food and water products.
If you buy a water filter with an NSF certification, you know that you have a reliable product to use anywhere. Furthermore, you can feel assured the water filters long-lasting and replaceable.
What happens with a water filter in freezing temperatures?
A water filter can crack during freezing months, allowing toxins to slip through into the drinking water. Furthermore, it can clog up and stops batteries from working. We recommend keeping the water filter warm with the heat from your body.
You need to keep it as close to the body. Alternatively, you can place it in a zip lock bag and keep it underneath your sleeping bag. If you have a small water filter, you can put it in your pocket during the day or hang it around your neck with a cord. Another helpful solution is to put it in a handwarmer packet.
When should you replace the filter cartridge?
The first thing you notice is the flow rate decreases. When drinking clean water and it comes out slowly into your mouth, it means you need to replace the filter. The likeliness is the cartridge has clogged up with contaminants. Further, you can go according to the instructions provided and take note of the filter capacity and water filtered.
There are so many things that you need to consider while you are replacing a water filter cartridge. But as it is essential to replace it at a regular interval of time, you need to do it without any kind of delay. It will be beneficial for any and every user to set a reminder for replacing the filter cartridge from a water filter. So you will just have to maintain a routine in which you will have to keep checking the water filter cartridge every now and then.
Which Portable Water Filter Do You Prefer?
As you can see, there are different portable water filters reviewed on the list. Finding the right one should not be complicated by following the provided buying guide once you look it over. All of the supplied water purification systems offer you ease-of-use and transform dirty water into the clean drinkable liquid to keep the body hydrated.
Therefore, if you need the best backpacking water filter, consider how you plan to use it. If you do hiking, mountaineering, or jog in the wild, a small model comes in handy. Furthermore, if you are a camper, you may prefer buying a camping water filter.
So which one do you think you need? Our top three picks for portability is the Sawyer as it is long-lasting while the LifeStraw Family one is excellent for camping. For efficiency, the SteriPen stands at the top for its compact and intuitive design.
Alternatively, if you need one without connecting different tubes and more, you can always settle on the Aqua Water Purification Tablets or Drops.
However, if you need style and simple design, look at the GRAYL purifier bottle with its elegant design that fits comfortably in the backpack’s pockets. Just fill it up with spring water and let the filter takes care of the rest. Happy touring, and we hope you find a reliable water filtering system on the list.
We hope that this article was helpful to you in order to choose the best portable water filters. Now that you have all the essential information, it will be possible for you to select the best portable water filters. The portable water filters are perfect to take on with you while you are going to a picnic, hiking, or on any adventure.
Make sure to go through our list of the best portable water filters and select the best suitable one to purchase. Also, mention in the comments below which portable water filter you are going to buy.